Dental Crowns are dental restorations that are more commonly known as “caps”. These restoration are quite extensive in that they cover all tooth surfaces.
Dental Crowns may be the ideal treatment option when previous fillings have broken, fractured or chipped surfaces are noted, or tooth sensitivity is involved. Dental Crowns are also used to improve the appearance of natural teeth that are malformed, malpositioned or discolored.
Dental Crowns can be made from various materials, which include porcelain, Zirconia based porcelain, porcelain fused-to-metal, and full cast metal. Based on numerous factors including aesthetics, position within the mouth, habits such as grinding, and your personal preference, a full assessment will be needed to determine which material is appropriate for you
Some of the indications for requiring a Dental crown are:
- A previously filled tooth where there now exists more filling than tooth. The existing tooth structure becomes weakened and can no longer support the filling.
- Extensive damage by decay or breakage.
- Discolorations and compromised aesthetics.
- Root canal – After root canal therapy, teeth tend to become brittle and are more apt to fracture. These teeth need to be protected and strengthened by a crown.
- Bridges – When missing teeth are replaced with a bridge, the adjacent teeth require crowns in order to support the replacement teeth. Crowns strengthen and protect the remaining tooth structure and can improve the appearance of your teeth.
So if you are interested in a long-term, cost-effective, esthetic and durable restoration, a crown may be the best treatment option for you!
At Tower Smiles Dental we are always welcoming new patients! No referral is required.
Call Us at (403) 262-3826 book your Dental Crowns consultation appointment today!